Stuff I find while rooting about.

Sunday, January 01, 2006

Slim Devices : Squeezebox


The squeezebox (I dont understand the reason for the name) from Slim Devices looks real good. Look at the options available in the display. These guys care. Read review on Pocketnow.com. I wish the cheap looking plastic remote was more like the device in finish. Oh well even NAD has real horrible looking remotes now.
I am impressed by the format support:

  • Lossless Formats (Apple Lossless, FLAC, WMA Lossless)

  • Uncompressed formats (AIFF, WAV, PCM)

  • Compressed formats (MP3, AAC, Ogg Vorbis, MP2, MusePack, WMA)

The MP3 playback uses MAD decoder. Its supposed to be the greatest, but frankly I could not make out the difference. :D I actually should try it with my 24-bit card.
Output is S/PDIF and Burr-Brown™ 24-bit DAC. Oooh! Tushar dont wet yourself.
Claimed THD 0.002%
Of course garbage in garbage out applies. If you are going to feed it MP3s encoded at 64 you are not going to get great sound.
Networking is wireless or wired.
The server software is Open Source. These guys have something to keep everyone happy.
Except the $250 price tag.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home