Stuff I find while rooting about.

Sunday, September 25, 2005

Community Bookmarks and searching

Since I work(?) of a lot of machines, need a way of keeping my bookmarks with me and updated. I use del.icio.us to store my bookmarks online. I find it convenient and and the tags make for quick searches. Most importantly is very very light since its text. Today I looked at another free service that lets me store and share my bookmarks and a lot more. Shadows. But its a bit heavy. Yahoo is into the act too, with My Web 2.0 BETA. If you visit Yahoo! Next (Yahoo's equivalent of Google Labs) they have got a whole bunch of things happening including Yahoo! Mindset figure that one out.
Clipmarks takes things further letting you bookmark things on a page. But it seems to be OS specific. Jeteye is a lot lighter and also lets you save and share searches.
I wonder with all these community bookmark offerings is there not a lot of wasted work by the end user? Your saved searches/clips on one site is not shared to others (obviously), so then you will need a cliping service search engine just like a blog search engine. Also, unless they provide a method to backup your saved data, what happens when they decide to close shop?

Im sticking to del.icio.us for now.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Too many of these services around. I'm sticking to del.icio.us too. It does tags and has RSS feeds. That works well enough for me.

1:23 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just wanted to let you know that Clipmarks for Firefox is due out by Wednesday October 26.

1:10 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home