Stuff I find while rooting about.

Wednesday, February 15, 2006

WorldSpace Impressions

I think I must explain why I have a WorldSpace radio. You guys are trying to make me feel guilty? Well I like radio, I like the fact that its unpredictable what they are going to play next. I like getting exposed to new music and thoughts. Maestro the western classical station keeps the wife happy. Riff the jazz station keeps me happy.
The receiver hardware sucks. I wanted to store the channels in the presets in the order I wanted. This was really tough. The messages that show up on the radio are not at all friendly. For example if it loses signal "TDM Lost" And each time you change stations it spits out some numbers for 3 seconds about the channel. Why? And it always defaults to some bass expansion mode. Lets not forget the little diplay that shows the battery is fully charged. It doesnt have batteries. Then there are the exciting SC- SC+ buttons. It has a data port at the back. If you ask about it the guy who came to install goes blank. Its invisible to him. When u put off the radio it does not mute its outputs like any good audio equipment should. It goes PLOP into your amp. Hate that. The remote control is one of the most cheap feeling I have ever used. If you want to go to a preset station above 10, there is some uncomfortable method.
OK I have grumbled enough. Its very enjoyable for casual listening. I have to force myself to do that. I guess most people would be very happy with the quality of sound. BBC world service is an extra pay service, only BBC Asia is in the basic subscription. Tonight I had NDTV running for some time then switched to RIFF. There are no ads, and virtually no interuptions by DJ/RJ
Now I have to arrange some more wires and remotes.
Next I need a good FM Tuner.
TV is still not an option.
Audio is the best reason for me never to own a car. Imagine the pains of getting good sound in a car at a low budget?
Lets search for some good car systems just in case.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home