Stuff I find while rooting about.

Sunday, February 12, 2006

New Toy - WorldSpace

I bought myself a WorldSpace receiver this afternoon. Its a two stage process. You buy the receiver and sign up for a subscription. WorldSpace's support is great, their dealers are dumb.
One point of confusion is the website. You have:


I wanted to have it setup on a Sunday since thats the only day that I really have free time at the same time as other humans.
All the dealers said that they cannot get it setup today, Sunday as the WorldSpace guys are off. At best they could get me someone in two days time. I gave up hope and decided to take it home and do it myself. Barely 15 minutes after I bought the receiver, I got a call from a WorldSpace engineer asking help in finding my house.

Unless you have a South East facing window, setup gets messy. You need line of site to the sattelite. That means running a cable to the roof.

Well its running now. Sound quality is not hifi, but I already knew that. The price is right. Its MPEG 2/Layer III. Some stations are at 128 kbps and some are lower. Radio Voyager is really low quality, like 64k VBR.

The receiver a 'Sanyo Celeste diva' was for some reason only available in grey. Its user interface is quite pleasing to look at, but the user interface is horrible. I have not been able to do anything with the presets. They just want to be auto set. Manual settings are painful. This is going to take most of the evening.

technorati tags: ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Finally succumbed?

12:56 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pls keep us updated abt yr experience with Worldsspace. Is it a radio with difference?

4:51 PM

 
Blogger byker7 said...

sybarite.

2:08 AM

 
Blogger Flypig said...

Sybarite? Ahh but we all work towards that goal do we not? The Sybarite desires is what probably got the wheel invented.

4:22 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home