Stuff I find while rooting about.

Friday, June 09, 2006

SACD

You cant play back SACD discs on a PC. This means that the only way I can listen to the surround tracks on SACD is to put down money for a player. I agree that a dedicated player is going to sound better than a PC soundcard, but at least to experiment it would have been fun.
Whats more the SACD I have (Dark Side of the Moon 30th Annioversary Edition) is a hybrid i.e. it plays back as a 2 channel on any audio CD Player, but.... apparently the 2 channel recording on this disc is flawed. Been hearing this recently, it seems audio CDs are getting the commercial treatment. They are being pushed so they clipped. And clipping in digital is harsh as compared to analog.
Read more about the flaws in this recording on Stereophile.
Also worth a read SACD vs DVD-Audio.
From what I read the original LP or CD of this recording has to be heard.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home